Pastor Jewel R Withers Jr. & First Lady Joyce Withers
Center Mission/Holy Temple Church of God in Christ
Holy Temple was founded in 1924 between two houses on West 17th street by Mother Ella Jackson and Elder L.R. Malone. The first converts were Mothers Lillie Mae Harrison and Frankie Mae Walker (Mother of Elder Leato Walker). Later that year, a three room house was rented on 14th and Pulaski for services where Elder Malone and Elder Nicks served as pastors.
In 1933 Elder L.C. Page became the pastor. Under his leadership a lot was purchased and started building what was called the Center Mission which is now the Banquet Hall. Elder Page was later called away due to adverse circumstances.
In 1942 Bishop Minor Jones was appointed as state overseer and was called to pastor Center Mission. In 1945, Bishop Jones finished and dedicated the building as "Holy Temple" Church of God In Christ.
In 1960, after Bishop Jones demise, Elder L.C. Dade was appointed pastor of Holy Temple of which he remained until his demise.
In June of 1988, Bishop L.T. Walker became the Pastor of Holy Temple Church of God in Christ bringing with him is congregation from Ebenezer Church of God in Christ. Here He remained as pastor until his demise.
In 2009, after the demise of Bishop L.T. Walker, Bishop D.L. Lindsey Sr. was appointed interim pastor. In 2010 Bishop Jewels R. Withers Jr. took the reigns as pastor.
Old Walker's Temple/Ebenezer Church of God in Christ
In the late 1940's Old Walker's Temple Church of God In Christ began with a day prayer meeting in White City on Foster Street (Now Folsom Street) in the home of Mother Jackson. In 1948, the group branched out with a prayer meeting in the East End at the home of James Marshall on Carson Street. The church left Marshall's house and went to Gregg Street in the home of brother Bosley (a new convert). In the summer of 1948, the church existed under a tent on East 9th Street. Bishop Minor Jones came and organized the church and set it up, Elder and Sister Walker (later Bishop and Mother) served as pastor and first lady.
After Elder Walker was appointed Bishop two years later, the church relocated from 820 Gregg Street to 2924 East 6th Street and was named "Ebenezer Church of God in Christ" in which Bishop Walker served as pastor until the merge in 1988.
Holy Temple Cathedral Church of God in Christ
Upon the demise of Elder L.C. Dade, Bishop L.T. Walker was asked to pastor the Holy Temple Church of God in Christ congregation. The transition was made in October of 1988 and the congregations of both Ebenezer and Holy Temple merged to become Holy Temple Church of God in Christ congregation. 1993, Bishop Walker spearheaded the building project for the present edifice, renaming it the Holy Temple Cathedral Church of God in Christ. Bishop Walker led the congregation until his demise in February 2009.
After the demise of Bishop L.T. Walker, Bishop D.L. Lindsey served as interim pastor until July 2009 when he transitioned as Pastor of Holy Temple Cathedral Church of God in Christ. Under his leadership, the lower auditorium has been remodeled and renamed in the memory of the late Bishop L.T. Walker Sr. This memorial service was observed during the 2009 State convocation. The former sanctuary of Holy Temple has been remodeled and is now serving as a Banquet Hall.